Limes and lemons both are under the citric fruit family, along with oranges, mandarins, and tangerines. They look or even taste the same in some way; they are different from each other in many ways. There are some notable differences with the basic ones as limes stand smaller in size and round-shaped in green color, whereas Lemons are large in bright yellowish color and oval-shaped. Both are similar nutritiously; hence taste almost the same as sour and bitter, except Limes are more sour and lemons are sweeter than in taste. Both tend to be acidic and sour, rich in vitamin C, including health benefits like preventing kidney stones, helping in the absorption of minerals, fighting inflammation, and mitigating liver deterioration because of citric acid present in them. Lemons and Limes share identical traits. Regardless of that fact, they are different in many ways.
Lemon vs Lime
Limes contain more citric acid, which makes them more sour and astringent; however, they are more floral, and their rind is easy to peel and zest. In comparison, lemon is much sweeter and has a more balanced flavor. And maybe I am pungent in some cases. Nevertheless, both are highly recommended for fragment and flavored food dishes.
Lemons are rich in potassium and magnesium, while Limes contain phosphorus, vitamins A and C, calcium, and folate, which makes them healthier than lemons.
Limes are mostly grown in tropical and subtropical regions, while lemons are grown in small brushes mainly in south-east Asia.
Whether it's lemon or limes, both are equally beneficial to our body. Lemons are more considered when it comes to loosening your weight. Especially to people who are working in the gym for their perfect figures. It's believed that it burns down the fatty molecules in the stomach, and a good amount of calories goes down.
Well, Limes are more used in dermatology for acne treatment as they cure acne-prone bacteria and make the skin smoother with a bit of glow along with it.
When it comes to the area or existence, lemons are considered much more frequently seen, unlike limes, which are rarely found.
Lemons contain slightly more fibre (2.8 grams per 100 grams) than limes (2.4 grams per 100 grams) and protein (1.1 grams per 100 grams) than (0.7 grams per 100 grams) do.
Geographical location can vary a lot when limes are more prone in Brazil, Mexico, and southern parts of the United States. Lemons are rarely found in Mediterranean countries, the United States, especially California, Arizona, and Argentina.
Difference Between Lemon and Lime in Tabular Form
|Parameters of Comparison||Lemons||Limes|
|Definition||Lemons are generally large and oval-shaped with a bright yellowish color. They have vibrant yellow flesh.||Limes are smaller, particularly 1 to 2 inches, and shaped as round and a little bit of oval.|
|Appearance||Limes are cherry lemons with an acidic and sour/bitter taste.||Limes are typically small and round with thin skin having a bright green colour. Limes have a pale green flesh filled with sour juices.|
|Texture||Lemons have a rough, thicker texture with a hard layer of peel due to small bumps on the surface.||Limes have smooth and glossy skin with a thin layer of peel.|
|Shape and Size||Lemons are larger 2 to 3 inches in diameter. They are a more elongated oval shape with a slight taper towards one end.||Limes have vibrant green color with pale green flesh. The variety of the limes may affect the color or fully ripped limes may have a yellow tinge, but green remains the dominant even after that.|
|Colour||Lemons have a perfect balance of tangy, sour, and bitter but sweeter flavor. They contain more subtle and milder sourness and bitterness than limes do.||Limes have vibrant green color with pale green flesh. The variety of the limes may affect the color or fully ripped limes may have a yellow tinge, but green remains the dominant even after that.|
|Taste and Flavour||Limes are sour and bitter with an acidic flavor in them.||Limes are believed to be healthier than lemons which contain phosphorus, vitamins A and C, calcium folate, and many more minerals with health benefits.|
|Nutrition||Lemons are richer in potassium and magnesium than limes. The nutrients it contains have antioxidants and antioxidants helps remove free radical from the body that can damage cells.||Its fruit, juice, and peel are used to make medicine. They are used to treat scurvy and also for the common cold and flu, ringing in the ears( tinnitus ). Very helpful for weight loss. Which burns the fatty molecules and calories at the same time.|
|Medication Purposes||Limes are more likely to be used in providing good skin to your face, by being rich in anti-acne and anti-aging bacteria along with skin-beneficial vitamins. It helps the skin in building its moisture hence making it smoother.||Limes are more likely to be used in providing good skin to your face, by being rich in anti-acne and anti-ageing bacteria along with skin-beneficial vitamins. It helps the skin in building its moisture hence making it smoother.|
What are Limes?
Limes are a citric fruit often used to accent flavor in food dishes. They are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which help implore the immune system, support heart health, kill kidney stones, aid iron absorption, and even promote healthy skin with bitter and sour liking. They are generally found in Southeast Asian countries, however, they are very common in Mexico, Vietnam, and Thai cuisine. Apart from those, they include numerous health benefits due to the presence of vitamin C and citric acid, aid in weight prevention of kidney stones, help in the absorption of minerals, fight inflammation, and mitigate liver damage. In addition, they contain phosphorus, vitamins A and C, and calcium folate and are considered more beneficial than lemons. It can be used in different courses because of its strong fragrance and tick skin texture. Some of the famous lime foods can be called as the best seafood i.e. Chili lime, Honey-lime chicken can break your scale of rating chicken. Then we have got a cilantro lime salmon bowl, pineapple salsa, and if a burrito bowl went on a tropical vacation, then it's Baja chicken bowls.
Either for garnishing or for cocktails. The classic Margarita, Daiquiri, gimlet, and Mojito all have one thing in common, that is limes. Limes are so much better when it is used in beverages like these. Anyhow, it's delicious when its used in tea in India.
Limes' myriad uses include the fastest-growing use of lime is in environmental applications where lime is used to comply with air, drinking water, wastewater, and solid waste regulations, which is the largest single-use of lime is limes used in steel manufacturing, in removing impurities.
Well, we have some varieties of limes, such as khaffir lime, which can be identified by it's lumpy exterior, Mexican or key limes are so good that they have a whole dessert named after them, Persian lime, Australian desert lime, and Australian finger limes.
Limes are widely used in cleaning appliances, due to their completely acidic nature, they kill harmful germs and bacteria and give utensils a fresh smell.
Along with that, it's excessively used in fragrances like perfume and aromatherapy due to its strong odor.
Limes are used as in essential oil, too, because of their aromatic properties:
- Extraction from lime peel, this oil is often used in aromatherapy for its uplifting and refreshing scent.
- Lime essential oil contains chlorophyll and anthocyanins, which are beneficial for liver health.
- Additionally, it is used as a natural fragrance for beauty products and some household items.
- Collagen production is enhanced by the presence of vitamin C, and antioxidants improve skin protection.
What are Lemons?
Lemons are species of small evergreen trees in the flowering plant family Rutaceae, native to Asia, primarily Northeastern India, Northern Myanmar, or China. They are mostly found in the tropics or the subtropical regions of the planet. Lemon as they are in between an orange and a citric fruit. Its taste can be defined as acidic with a subtle and milder taste of bitterness and sourness with sweetness. Well, they contain magnesium and phosphorus with enormous health benefits.
Even though they are well-known for their bright, shiny yellow color that catches everyone's eye, they vary in intensity as the more ripped the lemons are, the more pale their color looks, which also means they are juicy and delicious. They are larger, elongated, oval-shaped than limes.
In ancient times, they were properly used to cure many diseases and used to make medicine. They help improve digestion, reduce cancer risk, also help with oral disorders. Its fruit, juice, and peel are used to make medicine. They are used to treat scurvy and also for the common cold and flu, ringing in the ears( tinnitus ).
Similar to limes, lemons are used as essential oils:
- Derived from lemon zest, this essential oil is known for its invigorating and energizing aroma.
- Likely to lime, lemons essential oil is to be used in perfumes and cleaning products sometimes.
- Due to its richness in water, it keeps the body pretty hydrated and helps maintain fluidity in the body. Also helps in detoxification from the body.
- Lemons are not genetically a citric fruit. It's somewhere between a real orange and a lime. It's believed that it was created in the lab as a mixture of two fruits.
Main Difference Between Lemon and Limes In Points
- Limes are smaller and more round-oval-shaped, whereas Lemons are oval with elongated in the end.
- Limes have mainly vibrant green colors or shades of green, but Lemons are bright yellow.
- Lemons are rich in potassium and magnesium, with vitamins C. However, Limes are considered more beneficial because of their richness in phosphorus, vitamins A and C, calcium folate, etc.
- Both fruits are citric fruits and acidic, but lemons tend to be sour and bitter but sweeter at the same time. On the contrary, limes are sour and astringing without any sweetness.
- Limes, due to their strong taste and flavor, are considered in food and beverages more often, and lemons are preferred as liquids only.
- Limes are, however, less used outside food and beverage, but it's quite often to see them in perfumes and aromatherapies. In contradiction, lemon is frequently used in cleaning products, also considered as the most popular flavour for throat lozenges.
- Both are acidic, but lemon juice generally registered between 2.00 to 2.60 on the Ph scale, while lime juice is considered to be 2.00 to 2.35 on the scale. This proves the fact that limes are more acidic and lemons have their sweetness.
- Lemon juice contains 45 grams of citric acid per liter, whereas limes contain 48 grams of citric acid per liter. However, both are considered and used equally to cure acidity.
- The price of the lemon is 56 cents, and the price of the lime is 38 cents. Making the cost of lemon is twice the cost of lime.
- The lemon has about 29 calories, whereas a lime has around 30 calories, just the slightest difference.
In conclusion to the Article, people get so wrong about limes and lemons. They look confused about their actual performances. Here are some basic differences that completely wrap up the confusion and give them better clarity. First, the foremost thing is their appearance, Limes can never be yellow, and Lemon can never be green, with that size difference can make up the other consusion. Well, both of the citric fruits are good to be only for their raw consumption. It's so much more helpful in medications too.
We hope that this article clears up your confusion regarding a lemon and a lime. With this, it must give clarity about their nutrient and vitamins so that anyone can use them according to their needs and wants.